New Business Resources
The Town of Wytheville welcomes new businesses. To ensure your success please consider the following:
- 1. Contact the Planning & Zoning Office at (276) 223-3361 to ensure that your business is zoned appropriately. A zoning review is required prior to the issuance of a Business License.
- 2. If your new business requires large volumes of water or plans to discharge industrial materials, please contact the Engineering & Public Utilities Department at (276) 223-3434 for specific requirements.
- 3. If your new business is a restaurant or has a component similar to a commercial kitchen where fats, oils and greases will be prevalent, please reference the Engineering and Public Utilities Department page or call (276) 223-3434 to learn about the Fats, Oils and Grease requirements. Virginia Department of Health regulations may also apply.
- 4. A Certificate of Occupancy by the Building Department will be required prior to the issuance of the Business License. Contact the Building Department at (276) 223-3339 to obtain the Certificate of Occupancy. The Building Department can also assist you with understanding any building codes that may relate to your new business.
- 5. A Business License will be required to operate a business. For certain types of businesses, you may be required to collect and remit taxes, such as meals, sales and lodging taxes. Contact the Treasurer's Office at (276) 223-3333 to learn more about these requirements as it relates to your new business.
- 6. Partner organizations such as Downtown Wytheville, the Joint Industrial Development Authority, the Chamber of Commerce and the Small Business Development Center are available to assist you. Contact the Assistant Town Manager’s Office at (276) 223-3352 if you need assistance in connecting with these resources.
Contact information is available by navigating to the Town Department pages on the Town website.
All businesses operating in the Town of Wytheville are required to obtain (and display) a current annual Business License. All licenses are issued by calendar year and expire on December 31st each year. No business license of any type will be issued by the Town if the business has any type of delinquent revenues (Personal property taxes, lodging tax and meals due to the Town of Wytheville).
New businesses can obtain a Business License by completing and faxing the Business License application below.
Retail and Annual occupational tax fees are based on gross receipts of the business.
Initial fees are generally based on estimated gross receipts; then subsequent renewals are based on prior year gross receipts of the business. Additional information may be required prior to issuing the certificate for the business. Examples include state licenses, health department approval, professional licenses, etc.
Once all paperwork is submitted, approved and all appropriate fees paid, the Business License will be issued by the Town of Wytheville. Appropriate fees include any revenues owed to the Town of Wytheville. Business Licenses will not be issued to any business or business owner who owes delinquent revenues of any type to the Town of Wytheville.
Business Name or Location Changes
The Town of Wytheville is to be notified of all business name and location changes, as well as transfers of ownership. It is the Owner's responsibility to keep all address changes up-to-date with the Town. Otherwise, renewal packets may not reach the right address.
Business License Renewals
Business License renewals are due by May 1st each year, with notices automatically mailed by the Town of Wytheville the first week in March. The renewals reminders are mailed to the mailing address on file, as provided by the business. The reminders provide the internet address for the renewal information which must be completed and submitted for renewal. Fees are based on prior year gross receipts of the business. A penalty of 10%, is applied if license is not renewed by the due date; postmarks are accepted by the Town of Wytheville. No penalties will be waived.
APPLICATION ALONG WITH PROPER REMITTANCE MUST BE FILED BY MAY 1, 2024
UNLESS THIS IS A FIRST TIME APPLICATION, APPLICANT MUST ATTACH A COPY OF YOUR PRIOR YEAR’S FEDERAL INCOME TAX RETURN OR A STATEMENT FROM YOUR BOOKKEEPER/CERTIFIED PUBLIC ACCOUNTANT ALONG WITH THIS APPLICATION IN ORDER TO RECEIVE A BUSINESS LICENSE.