Contacts Jobs Employees


205 E. Tazewell Street
Wytheville, VA 24382

The home of Wytheville'’s first resident physician, the Haller-Gibboney Rock House has played a significant role in Wytheville'’s history since its construction in 1823. Dr. John Haller served his community as a country doctor, county coroner and delegate to the Virginia Legislature.

During the 140 years that the Hallers and their descendants, the Gibboneys and Campbells, lived in the home, they responded to the needs of their community by using their home as an infirmary and school during the Civil War years and as a boarding house when Wytheville became a popular summer resort. As a Registered Historical Landmark, the home now serves as a museum containing over 1,400 original artifacts and period furnishings. The purpose of the Haller-Gibboney Rock House Museum is to preserve its collections, structure and grounds in a manner that promote understanding and appreciation of family life in Wytheville within the context of the events of the 19th and early 20th centuries.

Please allow at least 30 minutes for a guided tour.

295 Tazewell Street
Wytheville, VA 24382

The Thomas J. Boyd Museum opened in December 1983. Located beside the Haller-Gibboney Rock House, the Boyd Museum is named for Thomas Jefferson Boyd who is known as the “Father of Wytheville” (he was an attorney, Town mayor, surveyor, hotel builder and Virginia Legislator).

The Boyd Museum contains a large collection of artifacts within exhibits on local history, Civil War and the polio epidemic in Wythe County.

The Discovery Corner offers ten interactive stations where children can learn math and science, as well as local history.

Please allow at least 30 minutes for a self-guided tour.

Located Adjacent to E. Lee Trinkle Visitors Center
975 Tazewell Street
Wytheville, VA 24382

Entrance and parking located at E. Lee Trinkle Visitors Center

The Great Lakes to Florida Highway Museum opened August 20, 2011. The third museum owned and operated by the Town of Wytheville offers visitors a chance to return to the days when the Great Lakes to Florida Highway (Route 21) was the main route from Ohio to Florida. Original artifacts, newspaper clippings and exhibits tell the story of the development of Route 21 and Interstate 77.

The gas station, which started out as a Texaco station, was built in 1926. About 1934, the station changed from Texaco to Esso. Candy and other snacks were added in the 1940s. By the 1950s, the gas station was phased out, and it became a small grocery store.


Museum Hours, Admission and Tour Fees

Museum Tour Tickets may be purchased at the Heritage Preservation Center, Thomas J. Boyd Museum, the Great Lakes to Florida Highway Museum and The Museum Shop.

Tour Hours
Tuesday-Friday: 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Saturday: Noon - 4 p.m.
Tours on the Hour

One Museum
$4.00 (Adults-No Senior Discount)
$2.00 (Children 6-12)

Two Museums
$7.00 (Adults)
$6.00 (Seniors 65+)
$3.00 (Children 6-12)

All-In-One Ticket
*Guided Tour of Haller-Gibboney Rock House Museum
*Self-Guided Tour of Thomas J. Boyd Museum
*Self-Guided Tour of Great Lakes to Florida Highway Museum
*The Rock House Gardens
*Exhibits at Heritage Preservation Center
*The Museum Shop
*Regional Visitor Center
*The Museum Shop/E. Lee Trinkle Exhibit/Honeybee Exhibit

$11.00 (Adults)
$10.00 (Seniors 65+)
$ 5.00 (Children 6-12)

Children 5 and under FREE with paying adult admission at any one museum

Allow at least TWO hours to visit all sites listed for All-In-One ticket